[mag-yorkshire-region-list] Yorkshire MAG newsletter May/June

Linz Foody linz at mag-uk.org
Mon May 27 19:41:25 BST 2019

/*his email is sent to Yorkshire MAG members who are listed with MAG
Central as subscribing to receiving emails.  If you no longer with to
receive these emails, please either amend your subscriptions online or
contact central-office at mag-uk.org.*/
/*
*/*__*

Evening everyone

Last week we had a Yorkshire MAG meeting at The Royal pub in Pudsey.

Deputy Yorkshire rep Andy Foody, ably stood in for me as that pesky work
thing got in the way! For those that didn’t make it here is what happened

Andy Foody taking meeting in Manny’s absence; has notes from Manny.
First thing, some sobering news from Steve Travis, Wakefield Rep.  Some
of you may have realised that Justine, Steve’s wife, wasn’t at Into The
Valley, which was due to a serious illness.  Both Justine and Steve are
holding up as well as can be expected and, understandably, Steve will be
out of the game for a while.  Manny has spoken to him and assured him
that we will do everything we can to help them both out, we send our
love and best wishes to both Steve and Justine at this difficult time.
*1. Apologies*
Manny, Kate Williams, Steve Travis, Mike Jordan, Glen Knight
*2. Rep’s Report*
*a) Newsletter*
Manny asked if newsletter is okay.  Anything needed to be added?
Anything needed to be omitted? Still a lack of local info coming from
the groups.  Manny putting the May/June newsletter together next week so
would appreciate any updates, reports, etc, from branches to be included
in it.  All agreed that the newsletter is good and needed.
*b) ULEZ*
The Ultra Low Emission Zone has gone live in London and MAG has been
lobbying hard for motorcycle exemption but has had limited success so
far.  People can pay £175 to have their own bike tested for compliance
but they won’t get any ULEZ charges already incurred back even if it
passes. As with all of these things Councils around the country will be
watching London to see how it goes as it could be a great revenue earner.
*c) MCIA*
The MCIA (Motorcycle Industry Association) rebranded itself by removing
all mention of motorcycles from its logo! This is due to a government
push on “L category” vehicles which are lightweight personal vehicles of
which motorcycles are included. Having spoken to several dealers about
this they are up in arms about it as they have always been the lifeblood
of the MCIA and they now feel that motorcycles could get sidelined in
the push towards electric vehicles.
*d) Theft Flyers*
We need to ensure that the MAG theft flyers are ready for The Farmyard
Party as we’ve missed yet another opportunity to promote what we do by
not having them ready for Into The Valley. Manny has spoken to Rod and
he assured me they’ll be ready.
*e) Political Rep Roles*
Steve B has stepped down as Huddersfield Political Rep and looks likely
to step down as Yorkshire political Rep in September, so if anyone
fancies the role, please have a think about stepping up as it’s probably
the most important role on the MAG committee.
*f) MAG AGC 2019*
• New Yorkshire MAG t-shirts, beanie hats and stickers were available to
buy at ITV and all sold well. It’s good to get our name out there as we
need to self-promote to expand membership.
• AGC last weekend in September (Saturday 28th) at Shawcross Sharks
Rugby club in Dewsbury. We’ve got Kelly Anne Bolland as a bit of
entertainment on the Friday night and The Interiorz as the Saturday
night band.
• We need to get together to discuss preparations for
food/security/fundraising etc
• We need to put on a great AGC and show everyone how Yorkshire do it.
• Ideas to raise funds welcome
• Should we do a pamphlet with local info, helpful hints? *Answer* –
yes, as agreed at last meeting.
• Manny has done a round of the dealers and have had pledges for raffle
prizes and also the offer of a 20% discount at MyMoto for the AGC
weekend for all MAG members.
• The Facebook page and flyer are now out there so feel free to share
the AGC far and wide.
Discussed:
• *Yorkshire products*:  Jane said these always sell well; black beanies
sold out at ITV.  It’s good to have a range of colours; these were
popular.  Warm stuff sold well at ITV (most likely because it was so
cold; last year when it was really hot, we sold loads more vests).
  Marcus suggested selling branded base layers … all thought this was a
great idea!  Marcus asked if we were getting flat caps to sell at AGC;
Boris suggested getting them with Yorkshire MAG logo … all thought this
was a great idea!
• *Food at AGC*:  Jane offered assistance.  Asked if the ovens at the
venue are catering ovens or domestic.  She is prepared to take some time
to prep some food; said lasagnes and pies can be prepped in advance, and
cakes baked (cakes ALWAYS go down well!)
• *Security at AGC*:  need to speak to members with SIA badges sooner
rather than later.
• *Meeting to Prep for AGC*:  Linz to liaise with Manny re date for
meting to get organised; need to start putting names to roles.  Need to
do this sooner rather than later.
*g) Rideouts & Events*
Ride outs and group events. Invite all members and try to support each
other’s events, where possible.
*h) JEM Speedshop*
JEM speedshop have offered us space to put a Yorkshire MAG notice board.
Do we think it’s a good idea and how will we pay for it?  Manny has
found one for £18.  Yes, agreed we should not pass up any such
opportunities; cost of notice board is minimal and we should use
regional funds for this.  We don’t know how successful at raising MAG’s
profile the noticeboard at Squires has been but if we don’t advertise
MAG we no-one will know about us.
*3. Branch Reports*
*a) East Yorkshire (Garry Williams): Hull Clean Air Zone* – An article
appeared on the Hull Daily Mail web site stating Hull will not be
charging motorists for entering the city.  Basically, not a lot that can
be done with the main road from the M62 to the docks which borders once
side of the city which is the primary cause of pollution.  I have spoken
to the Council who have confirmed the story, stating that they have
successfully argued the case with a number of the clean air groups.
  Extensive roadworks are due to take place over the next few years
which will improve the flow of traffic, ease congestion and therefore
lower pollution levels.  The council are happy to engage with MAG and
have added me to their circulation list for consultation on any future
proposals.
*Operation Yellowfin* – Theft continues to be an issue, but the impacts
of the Police operation are being felt with 16 bikes recovered and 9
arrests reported through social media channels by the police over the
past couple of weeks.  Theft postings also appear to have reduced recently.
*Spat Out of Hull* – Mentioned last time that group had voted to take
Spat back in the direction of a marshals party in line with its origins
due to the risk/effort v reward of continuing at Duncombe Park.  Not a
lot to add at this time, PW in talks with a venue which fulfils the
criteria, dates still 13th to 15th September as far as I am aware,
although potential to swap dates with the Yorkshire Region AGM the
following weekend. /_UPDATE_: //at the EY meeting last week, it was
voted to take Spat Out of Hull to Leven Sports Centre on the traditional
weekend of 13th to 15th September. The venue is around 8 miles out of
Beverley and in line with my meeting notes of 17th March (and discussed
at the MAP meeting later that day), the event will go back to its
origins as a marshals thank you party. Further details to follow in due
course./
*Easter MAGness and Ride Out* – Thank you from the group for those who
attended these events and made a contribution to the chosen good causes
– Beverley Food Bank and NURSE charity.  The ride out attracted around
30 bikes and was a mystery tour around East Yorkshire, more so for the
15 or so blind sided by an Ambulance early on at Howden roundabout and
ended up and taking the wrong exit, never to be seen again…..
The group asked me to *pass thanks on* for anyone who put a shift in on
the bar at ITV which is organised and managed by some EY members.  Just
short of £85 was raised in tips, which the group rounded to £100 and
have donated to the Yorkshire Air Ambulance.
*MAG Stand* – Tentative plans discussed at the last meeting to attend a
number of local events over the Summer.
*Group Events* – No specific group events in the diary at this time, the
main focus being on the rallies over the coming months.
*b) Huddersfield (Linz Foody): *Held AGM on 8 May; slight change to
Committee:
• Linz is back as Rep
• Glennys Scrivener back as Dep Rep and Treasurer
• Sal Horsfall back as Fundraiser and Dealer Liaison
• David Denton back as Membership officer
• Andy Foody back as MAP Liaison
• Tom Lonsdale stepped up as Political officer after Steve Bolton
stepped down
Andy and I and other Hudds MAG members attended and marshalled at ITV;
Have a healthy bank balance; donations to region totalled £1,100 over
last year, with Top Box sales and Pie Nights raising significant amounts.
*c) Leeds (Manny): *We’re very busy at the moment. **We had a successful
Easter Egg Run to Lineham Farm Children’s Centre which is Leeds MAG’s
chosen charity.**We hosted Ed March doing a talk at Squires which was
very successful. Everyone had a great time and we raised over £900 for
MAG. We’ve already booked Steph Jeavons for next year’s talk; /Marcus
said Leeds a trying to persuade her to get a book published to coincide
with the talk/*. *We did a run to the Craven Collection outside York
that was great fun.**
• We’re doing a coast to coast ride from Scarborough to Cumbria through
the North York Moors, Dales and Lakes on the 1st of June - camping on
31st May and 1st June. All welcome to join us. Get in touch for all details.
• Helped to get rid of the Leeds councillor that was head of transport
and massively pro bus and cycle to the detriment of all petrol vehicles
and refused to listen to our arguments for promoting motorcycles.
Hopefully we can now push forward with our agenda. /MH noted the role
has changed slightly to be transport place, change and sustainability./
• Had a meeting with Leeds City Council last week regarding secure
motorcycle parking. They haven’t spent last year’s tranche of money from
the WYCA yet so that’s £16k from 2018 and this year’s £16k which totals
£32k - LCC have rounded this up to £50,000. There’s going to be a
purpose built secure motorcycle parking area in one of the multi storeys
plus lots of ideas bandied about for locations around the centre and
outlying towns. A follow up meeting is scheduled for 22nd July after
sites have been surveyed. /Discussed lack of bikes parking in some town
centre and the fact that folk are more likely to visit tourist
destinations on bikes rather than local town centres.  Garry said in
Hill there have been thefts from dedicated bike parking areas; agreed
that thieves are getting much more brazen, and that we won’t be able to
prevent all bike thefts but we need to do what we can to deter them.
  Jane mentioned seeing cages in multi-storey car parks for bike
parking, where you apply for a key; wondered if this is what is being
installed in Leeds.  Noted that potential thieves could apply for keys
as well as genuine bikers …/
• Leeds MAG also did an online survey to ensure we’re concentrating on
the correct things. Some interesting things have come out of it and we
haven’t fully analysed it all yet but one of the overwhelming facts is
the power of Facebook. /Marcus said there were 75 respondents; he is
still going through the answers.  It would be quite easy to replicate
across other groups/
• 31 May to 2 June – doing a coast to coast ride; meet on Friday in
Scarborough and do a steady ride, 130 miles through the Dales and Lakes,
camp overnight and home on Sunday.
• 7-8 September – visit to National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham
*d) South Yorkshire (Oliver Rose): *Not found out who new person in
Transport is yet following election on 2 May, but thre are no major
issues in South Yorkshire.  Need to contact South Yorks Combined
Authority now that devolution has been agreed.  Been out and about at
events; 5 members marshalled at ITV; took part in an Easter Egg run;
attended Huddersfield’s Pie Night, met up with Leeds for the visit to
the Craven Collection .
*e) Wakefield: *No report, no-one present.
*4. Political*
No report, no-one present.
*5. Web/Social Media Report*
Quiet on Yorkshire MAG front as Marcus has been concentrating on Leeds.
  All groups except South Yorkshire are using Google calendar, which
helps to co-ordinate events and avoid clashes.  Marcus said Twitter is
really useful for getting contacts for Councils and lists of Transport
related accounts; Councils tend to use that rather than FaceBook.
  Marcus suggested that doing a Twitter tutorial at the next meeting.
*6. North Yorkshire Group*
• Still no-one coming forward to look after York or Scarborough.  Manny
organised posters to display at ITV asking for members to form a North
Yorkshire Group.  He didn’t get a response so we’ll try doing the same
at The Farmyard. Watch this space.
• Boris suggested other groups arranging a “come and meet us” meeting in
York or Ripon to try to encourage people along and find out what MAG is
about and hopefully get someone interested in setting up a group.  Linz
suggested including something like a Top Box sale to encourage
attendance; Boris suggested inviting an MP or Councillor along to talk
about issues in the area.
*7. Upcoming Events*
Mainly rallies.
*8. Any Other Business*
• Jane asked if we were shooting ourselves in the foot only being able
to register for marshalling on a PC rather than a phone or tablet, as
many young people don’t have a PC/laptop.  Andy said yes, we are; we are
missing out on people being able to register at any time from anywhere.
  Noted that there is a problem with the marshalling site on mobile
devices but this was being addressed; it’s generally okay on Android but
there are still problems with Apple.  Noted that Ronnie has been
focusing on GDPR but will be looking at the mashalling site.
• Jane noted the lack of a campsite shop at ITV and also not having such
as milk and chocolate bars available in Products, like last year; this
was an issue.  Also the farm shop was not really advertised
• Confirmed ITV was a sellout
*9. Next meeting*
Discussed possibility of this being at Farmyard Party marshal’s briefing
on 15 September at Farmyard site, Helmsley.  To be confirmed.

Here is the link to the current “Network” which will keep you informed
with MAG happenings around the country.
https://wiki.mag-uk.org/images/d/d5/Network_2019-05.pdf

Membership remains steady throughout the region as is generally the case
at this time of year. When you come to renew, please think of doing it
by direct debit as this way, it’s all done automatically and you
continue being a MAG member.

We’re still wanting to restart Scarborough MAG and York MAG or get a
completely new group going in North Yorkshire. If anyone is willing to
become a rep (it’s great fun and very rewarding) or even host a meeting,
just to get a likeminded group of folk keeping in touch and pushing the
MAG message, please give me a call (07867918722) or message me via
email, text, Facebook etc. North Yorkshire is a big area and it’s a real
shame we don’t have a North Yorkshire group or two, especially
considering it’s a biking Nirvana.

The groups have been busying up nicely now the better weather is here.

A few weeks ago we had our first rally of the year, Into The Valley at
Sledmere and it was another sell out. Weather was mainly fine, if a
little chilly on an evening, but the bands, comedy and beer made sure
everyone had a great time.
As it stands now we’re gearing up nicely for The Farmyard Party in just
over a months time. Always the highlight of the rally calendar, tickets
can be bought online, from selected local dealers or from your local
meetings. Here’s the link to the ticket line.
https://www.mapevents.co.uk/tickets_where.html

We had some new merchandise at ITV that sold really well, to the point
that we’re currently restocking for The Farmyard Party. The only change
from below is that we’re having some of the beanie hats done without the
“Yorkshire” font on the back, as strangely, some folk didn’t want it to
say that on it, so just to please the foreigners were having some done
both with and without Yorkshire on them. Below is another rundown of the
latest merchandise and if we can facilitate it, we’re going to look at
doing an online shop so you can still show your allegiance, even if you
can’t get to a rally to buy one in person! We have a revised Yorkshire
MAG T-shirt, some new embroidered beanie hat, and we also have both
Yorkshire MAG stickers and screen/window stickers.  All will be
available from KevKev at the Farmyard Party merchandise store. For
images, please see: https://www.facebook.com/yorkshiremag/

Marshal registration is now closed for Into The Farmyard Party.
Yorkshire Pudding Rally marshals registration will be opening in a few
weeks time. We’re always on the look out for new marshals, because
without our marshals we can’t put the rallies on. We’re almost like a
family within a family and I can say from personal experience that
marshalling at our rallies gives a whole new appreciation of them and is
fantastic fun. Anyone marshalling is given a good package for stepping
forward which makes it a win/win situation. Email mag.marshals at live.com
<mailto:mag.marshals at live.com> for more details.

We’ve got a few events coming up in the next few months that you may
want to add to your diaries.
*_
_*
_*Friday 31st May to Sunday 2nd June *_- Leeds MAG coast to coast ride.
Camping near Scarborough at the Hayburn Wyke pub on the Friday night,
riding to the West coast on Saturday via the North York Moors, Yorkshire
Dales and the Lake District national parks to camp on the West coast at
The Fox and Hounds at Ennerdale. then ride home on Sunday. No motorways
involved so all MAG members welcome.

_*F*__*riday 21st to Sunday 23rd June*_ - The Farmyard Party @ Duncombe
Park, Helmsley. £37 prebook. https://www.mapevents.co.uk

Huddersfield MAG are want lots of members to join them at Elland Gala on
the morning of *_Saturday 6 July 2019_*, to take part in the parade and
to display our bikes after the parade; let's get there in numbers - it's
always a great spectacle to have a load of bikes. The parade sets off
from the C of E school (which is at the bottom of Westgate, Elland
approx post code HX5 0BJ) at 11.30am, so it will help if we can arrive
by 11.15am; the organisers would  love us to park up our bikes after the
parade allowing families to come and have a look and chat with the owners.

Finally if you want to get more involved at a local level (and to really
get the most out of your MAG membership, I strongly recommend that you
do) here are the meeting details of the five Yorkshire MAG groups -
though we are looking to expand with more groups so if you haven’t got
one close by and fancy getting together with like minded bikers, get in
touch with me at manny at mag-uk.org <mailto:manny at mag-uk.org>
We’re very lucky in having some very strong groups in Yorkshire, but we
need the members to join in, so pop along to your local meeting and help
to make a difference

East Yorkshire MAG meet on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays from 8pm at The
Forresters Arms HU17 0PR

Huddersfield MAG meet every Wednesday from 8.30pm at The Fieldhead HD3 4FB

Leeds MAG meet every 1st and 3rd Tuesday from 8pm at The Royal Hotel
LS28 8PR

South Yorkshire MAG meet every 1st and 3rd Sunday from 7pm at The Ball,1
Hesley Bar, Thorpe Hesley, Rotherham, S61 2PW

Wakefield MAG meet every Wednesday from 8.30 at The Grey Horse WF1 1JG

Ride safe
Manny (Yorkshire MAG rep)