[mag-yorkshire-region-list] Yorkshire MAG newsletter March/April

Linz Foody linz at mag-uk.org
Sat Mar 30 17:31:54 GMT 2019

/*This email is sent to Yorkshire MAG members who are listed with MAG
Central as subscribing to receiving emails. If you no longer with to
receive these emails, please either amend your subscriptions online or
contact central-office at mag-uk.org.*/
/*
*/*__*

Welcome to the latest Yorkshire MAG newsletter

A week last Sunday we had the Yorkshire MAG meeting at The Royal Hotel
in Pudsey. It was well attended, with all Yorkshire branches in attendance.
East Yorkshire are still keeping a watch on the theft problem in Hull
and Carl Freebury, who organised the theft awareness ride last year, is
in talks with the police to keep the pressure on the thieves.
West Yorkshire is very busy with all the five West Yorkshire Councils
moving on getting secure motorcycle parking in place not only in the
city centres but in the outlying towns as well.
Unfortunately the 2+ lane down Stanningley Road in Leeds looks set to
become a full time bus lane after a consultation. This will mean that
motorcycles will no longer be able to use this lane as currently, bikes
aren’t allowed to use bus lanes.
We are working very hard on this situation and the Leeds Political Rep
has done some fantastic research to show the council and some of its
councillors up for the lying, cheating charlatans that they are.
Hopefully after next months local elections, we’ll be dealing with
different councillors. If you want to read Marcus’s blog which has now
been published independently follow this link
https://westleedsdispatch.com/guest-post-why-stanningley-road-bus-priority-measures-may-not-work/
South Yorkshire is apparently a utopia for motorcyclists with councils
that already cater for us, but if you have an issue locally that you
feel MAG should know about please contact the South Yorkshire Rep Oliver
at oliver.rose at mag-uk.org <mailto:oliver.rose at mag-uk.org>
Unfortunately, due to no groups in North Yorkshire, we have no regular
contact with the councils or members, so if you fancy setting up a
group, please contact me at manny at mag-uk.org <mailto:manny at mag-uk.org>.
We’ll offer as much help as possible to anyone who fancies having o go.
It’s not a massively onerous job and the rewards and camaraderie are great.

Following the complaint I made against my local councillor and the
subsequent grovelling apology I received back, we’ve put in a freedom of
information request to see the evidence that they say they used to reach
a decision on bikes in bus lanes. We still await a response and we
strongly suspect that personal prejudices were used rather that hard facts.

Both of our political reps StevieB and Ian have been pulling out all the
stops for MAG members throughout Yorkshire and they deserve our thanks.

Here is the link to the current “Network” which will keep you informed
with MAG happenings around the country. This month it’s in two parts.
https://wiki.mag-uk.org/images/7/74/Network_2019-03.pdf
https://wiki.mag-uk.org/images/b/b7/Network_2019-03_part_2.pdf

Membership remains steady throughout the region as is generally the case
at this time of year. When you come to renew, please think of doing it
by direct debit as this way, it’s all done automatically and you
continue being a MAG member.

We’re still wanting to restart Scarborough MAG and York MAG or get a
completely new group going in North Yorkshire. If anyone is willing to
become a rep (it’s great fun and very rewarding) or even host a meeting,
just to get a like-minded group of folk keeping in touch and pushing the
MAG message, please give me a call (07867918722) or message me via
email, text, Facebook etc. North Yorkshire is a big area and it’s a real
shame we don’t have a North Yorkshire group or two, especially
considering it’s a biking Nirvana.

Traditionally, this time of year is always a quiet one but behind the
scenes at MAP HQ, everything is coming together nicely to give you the
three best rallies on the biking calendar. Tickets are now on general
sale and all the info you need is here
https://www.mapevents.co.uk/tickets_where.html

We’re always on the look out for new marshals, because without our
marshals we can’t put the rallies on. We’re almost like a family within
a family and I can say from personal experience that marshalling at our
rallies gives a whole new appreciation of them and is fantastic fun.
Email mag.marshals at live.com <mailto:mag.marshals at live.com> for more
details.

Last Saturday Leeds MAG hosted Ed March at Squires Cafe, where he gave
us a brilliant talk on his ride from Alaska to Argentina on his C90.
Everyone went home with big smiles on their faces and we raised just
over £900 for MAG so massive thanks go to all who came along and
supported us.

We’ve got a few events coming up in the next few months that you may
want to add to your diaries.
*_Wednesday 3rd April_* - Wakefield MAG’s 15th post Christmas auction.
 From 8pm at The Grey Horse WF11JG. Feel free to donate any unwanted
prezzies or just come along and bid on something and help raise money
for MAG

*_Tuesday 9th April_* - Leeds MAG Easter Egg Run to Lineham Farm
Children’s Centre. Meeting from 6pm at Cardigan Fields car park (behind
McDonalds on Kirkstall Road) to leave at 6.30pm to ride in convoy to the
centre. Please bring as many Easter Eggs as you want. Everyone welcome

*_Saturday 20th April_* - Easter MAGness , _7:30pm_ until late at the
Foresters Arms, _1-7 Beckside, Beverley, HU17 0PR_ featuring band Tin
Pan Ally

*_Sunday 21st April_* - MAG visiting The Craven Collection. Meet at
Squires @ 11am to leave at noon to ride to the Craven Collection
Motorcycle Museum at Stockton on the Forest. £5 entry. All members welcome

*_Sunday 28th April_* - Annual post Easter ride out, meeting ready for
_a 10am_ start at the Foresters Arms, _1 - 7 Beckside, Beverley HU17
0PR_, ride around East Yorkshire finishing at Seaways cafe, Fridaythorpe
for a bite to eat.
*_
_*
*_Friday 3rd to Sunday 5th May_* - Into The Valley Rally @ Sledmere
House. Weekend ticket £25 prebook. https://www.mapevents.co.uk

*_Wednesday 8th May_* - Huddersfield MAG AGM @ The Field Head, Quarmby,
HD3 4FB from 8pm. All MAG members welcome. Don’t forget your membership
card if you want to vote.

_*Sunday 19th May *_- Yorkshire Regional Meeting @ The Royal Hotel,
Pudsey, LS28 8PR at 10am.  All MAG members welcome.

Finally if you want to get more involved at a local level (and to really
get the most out of your MAG membership, I strongly recommend that you
do) here are the meeting details of the five Yorkshire MAG groups -
though we are looking to expand with more groups so if you haven’t got
one close by and fancy getting together with like minded bikers, get in
touch with me at manny at mag-uk.org <mailto:manny at mag-uk.org>
We’re very lucky in having some very strong groups in Yorkshire, but we
need the members to join in, so pop along to your local meeting and help
to make a difference

East Yorkshire MAG meet on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays from 8pm at The
Forresters Arms HU17 0PR

Huddersfield MAG meet every Wednesday from 8.30pm at The Fieldhead HD3 4FB

Leeds MAG meet every 1st and 3rd Tuesday from 8pm at The Royal Hotel
LS28 8PR

South Yorkshire MAG meet every 1st and 3rd Sunday from 7pm at The Ball,1
Hesley Bar, Thorpe Hesley, Rotherham, S61 2PW

Wakefield MAG meet every Wednesday from 8.30 at The Grey Horse WF1 1JG

Ride safe
Manny (Yorkshire MAG rep)