[mag-yorkshire-region-list] Yorkshire MAG newsletter October/November and Reminder re Yorkshire MAG AGM

Linz Foody linz at mag-uk.org
Sat Oct 20 17:55:56 BST 2018

*/This email is sent to all current Yorkshire MAG members for whom we
have a valid email address (as at October 2018) on behalf of Manny, the
Yorkshire MAG Rep/*

Evening everyone

*First thing:  A week tomorrow,**Sunday 28th October it’s the Yorkshire
MAG AGM @ The Royal Hotel LS28 8PR from 10am. See below for more
information - hope to see you there.*

MAG is a member led organisation and without your input and help, we
can’t function. Hopefully we’ll see you there.

Politically in West Yorkshire, in an effort to push the “bus lane
access” issue county wide I took a trip to my local Councillors surgery
(who also happens to be the lead on transport in Leeds). It was an
enlightening meeting.
It turns out that, even though the West Yorkshire Combined Authority
paid tens of thousands of pounds to conduct a consultation into the pros
and cons of bus lane access for motorcycles, which came out wholly in
favour of allowing bikes in bus lanes throughout West Yorkshire, to the
point where it is included in the WYCA strategy and is in the process of
being implemented in four of the five councils, Leeds haven’t discussed
“bikes in bus lanes” and feels that as lead authority, it has both the
right and ability to veto anything that it doesn’t agree with from the
WYCA. This is even though they signed up to be a part of this county
wide body and no doubt received plenty of government funds for doing so.
I feel that this is unacceptable, as I’m sure the constituents of
Bradford, Wakefield, Kirklees and Calderdale do as well.
This is where we may need help from some strategic MAG members.
We’re going to send letters (hopefully recorded delivery) to councillors
in as many wards as possible where bus lane access is either being
discussed or denied. We’ll be emailing people with a set letter that can
adjusted for each council/councillor.
Your help in this is greatly appreciated

Here is the link to the current “Network” which will keep you informed
with MAG happenings around the country.
https://wiki.mag-uk.org/images/7/7d/Network_2018-10.pdf

On September 29th we had the MAG National AGC at Borth in Wales.
I think we can all rest assured that MAG is as vibrant as ever and the
team that is doing the campaigning side of things are working their
socks off to get a better deal for bikers, nationally.

It was pointed out that one of the biggest threats to biking as we know
it is the introduction of Clean Air Zones (CAZ’s). It started off with
four cities, but after intervention from a group of solicitors in
London, suing the government, it went up to 30+ cities and after another
court case it is now going to affect 70+ towns and cities around the
British Isles.
It sounds lovely, having clean air zones but the reality is that it is
very easy to go from a CAZ to an Ultra Low Emission Zone which will ban
or charge for older vehicles (pre 2008 as it stands now)
MAG is now influencing Highways England in adjusting infrastructure,
road surfaces and road design throughout the country.

MAG has consistently increased its membership for the last three years.
The more members we have, the bigger voice we have, so it’s important to
keep on growing.

I presented two cheques from The Daft Way Up that we did in April
(riding inappropriate motorcycles from Lands End to John O Groats). The
total raised was £12,000 so we split the money £6000 to MAG and £6000 to
Macmillan. I’d like to thank everyone who helped and sponsored us along
the way. Your support was amazing.
DWU part 2 is in the planning stage now and should happen at the end of
October next year. If you want to join in, you just need an motorcycle
that is inappropriate for riding over 1000 miles through 5 countries
(think old/slow/crap 👍), a free week to do it, the ability to self fund
the trip and get sponsored for doing it and most of all, a sense of
humour. Drop me a line if you fancy joining in.

Finally the awards for Yorkshire that were awarded at the AGC were -
Dave Gregory - merit award for services to the Yorkshire rallies
Dave and Carol Malt - merit award for services to the Yorkshire rallies
Glennys Scrivener, Huddersfield MAG - merit award for drive and enthusiasm
Chas Milner, Wakefield MAG - merit award for fund raising
Ali Preston (and Karen and Lily) - life membership for his tenure as
managing director of MAP (Yorkshire rallies)
Daft Way Up crew - Steve Tannock teamwork award
Yorkshire Region - Bald Eagle Award for largest increase in membership
in the country.
Well done to all concerned.

South Yorkshire MAG had their AGM on Sunday 7th October at The Ball in
Rotherham. There was a good turnout and Oliver Rose was returned as
South Yorkshire Rep. Adrian Lumby (Boris) is vice rep, Bob Graham is the
young rider rep and John Asher is the political rep. Thanks go to all
four for pushing South Yorkshire MAG forward and I ask local members to
give their support to the South Yorkshire MAG Group in the coming year.

The reps position in East Yorkshire MAG has been filled by Garry
Williams. Thanks go to Garry for stepping up and I’d like to ask all
East Yorkshire MAG members to help Garry in his new position.

Last weekend was the MAP AGM (Yorkshire Rallies). All is well with the
rallies. All three were successful (helped by a great summer) and
planning is underway for next year’s rallies. The board was re-elected
and MAP made a donation of £75,000 to MAG from this year’s rallies. Your
support at these events is both appreciated and needed as Yorkshire MAG
(and MAP) continues to be one of the driving forces of MAG.

*On Sunday 28th October it’s the Yorkshire MAG AGM @ The Royal Hotel
LS28 8PR from 10am. Tea, coffee and biscuits provided. Good food and
beer available from the bar. All MAG members are encouraged to attend
our most important meeting of the year. Please bring your membership card.
*
**
*MAG is a member led organisation and without your input and help, we
can’t function. Hopefully we’ll see you there. *

We’re still wanting to restart Scarborough MAG and York MAG or get a
completely new group going in North Yorkshire. If anyone is willing to
become a rep (it’s great fun and very rewarding) or even host a meeting,
just to get a likeminded group of folk keeping in touch and pushing the
MAG message, please give me a call (07867918722) or message me via
email, text, Facebook etc. North Yorkshire is a big area and it’s a real
shame we don’t have a North Yorkshire group or two, especially
considering it’s a biking Nirvana.

We’ve got a few events coming up in the next few months that you may
want to add to your diaries.

*TONIGHT!!! *20th October - Leeds MAG first Bad Taste Party @ The Royal
Hotel LS28 8PR. Leave any political correctness at home for this one.

27th October - East Yorkshire MAG’s Halloween party at The Foresters
Arms, BecksIde, Beverley, HU17 0PR from 8pm. Fancy dress is encouraged.

Sunday 28th October - Yorkshire MAG AGM @ The Royal Hotel LS28 8PR from
10am. This is where we, the members, decide what we’ll be doing over the
coming year and how we’re going to go about it. All MAG members are
asked to attend as it’s our most important meeting of the year. Tea,
coffee and biscuits provided for members and great food and beer
available from the bar. Don’t forget your membership cards if you want
to vote. Hope to see lots of you there.

31st October - Wakefield MAG bingo night at The Grey Horse, Kirkgate,
Wakefield from 8pm

14th November - Huddersfield MAG pie night at The Field Head, Quarmby,
HD3 4FB - *SOLD OUT!* Be quicker next time as this is always a popular do!

21st November - Wakefield MAG Biker quiz night. 30 general knowledge and
30 bike related questions. Always hotly contested and always good fun.
The quiz starts at 8pm at The Grey Horse, Kirkgate, Wakefield, WF1 1JG.

There will be plenty of local “do’s” around Christmas and New Year so
keep an eye on your local Facebook groups for details.

22nd January - Leeds MAG’s “Owl with laughter” 7th Comedy night @ The
Royal Hotel LS28 8PR from 8. Limited tickets available soon. First come
first served.

23rd March - Leeds MAG presents An Evening With Ed March! Following the
success of our previous motorcycle travel talks, we’ve managed to secure
madcap C90 adventurer Ed March to come and talk to us. Check out his
exploits on YouTube then come and meet the man himself

Finally if you want to get more involved at a local level (and to really
get the most out of your MAG membership, I strongly recommend that you
do) here are the meeting details of the five Yorkshire MAG groups -
though we are looking to expand with more groups so if you haven’t got
one close by and fancy getting together with like minded bikers, get in
touch with me at manny at mag-uk.org <mailto:manny at mag-uk.org>
We’re very lucky in having some very strong groups in Yorkshire, but we
need the members to join in, so pop along to your local meeting and help
to make a difference

East Yorkshire MAG meet on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays from 8pm at The
Forresters Arms HU17 0PR

Huddersfield MAG meet every Wednesday from 8.30pm at The Fieldhead HD3 4FB

Leeds MAG meet every 1st and 3rd Tuesday from 8pm at The Royal Hotel
LS28 8PR

*_NEW VENUE_*
South Yorkshire MAG meet every 1st and 3rd Sunday from 7pm at The Ball,1
Hesley Bar, Thorpe Hesley, Rotherham, S61 2PW

Wakefield MAG meet every Wednesday from 8.30 at The Grey Horse WF1 1JG

Ride safe
Manny (Yorkshire MAG rep)

/I//f you no longer wish to receive these emails from Yorkshire MAG,
please reply with the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line - please
note, this will not affect the emails you receive from your local rep or
MAG Central./