[cardiff-mag-list] [mag-south-wales-region-list] [carmarthen-mag-list] Penarth 20 MPH Limit

David Delaney dtd at pt.kc3.co.uk
Tue Feb 5 17:23:29 GMT 2013

Hi

This was my comment to the Council:

I refer to the plan for a universal 20mph speed limit. This is a misguided proposal as evidence is emerging that such restrictions cause an increase in accidents. Obviously it leads to a loss of attention, itself the largest cause of accidents. The safest road speed is the 85th percentile of the average speed on the road.

The suggestion that I will visit Penarth from Presteigne by foot or on my bicycle is ludicrous. If you are foolhardy enough to go ahead with the proposal at least apply a sunset clause such that if the accident rate rises then it will be reversed. Alternatively scrap all the excuses and declare it is simply a revenue raising exercise like most speed cameras.

David Delaney