[cardiff-mag-list] Penarth 20 MPH Limit

Mike Mallen mike.mallen at btinternet.com
Fri Feb 1 14:49:47 GMT 2013

Hi all,

I know for those of you that do not live in Penarth this will not affect you directly YET ! but the Vale Council are proposing what could be a blanket 20 MPH speed limit thought the local area.

Some residential streets are so narrow that even 20 is too fast so in quiet residential its OK to lower the limit, as we know drivers and riders should always drive to the road conditions anyway, 30 is just a upper limit, not a you must drive a this speed, this is the problem if the limit is reduced most drivers are going to think I'm doing 20 therefore I'm good ,I'm safe and switch off, disaster waits.

If we must have a 20 limit then in my opinion the main roads/ bus routs etc must be left at 30, i have written to the council and my MP with my concerns, and i hope if you feel strongly about this you Will do the same.

If you think "its only Penarth whats the problem " if this gets the go-ahead 20 limits will start spreading it will be Grange-town next.

Here is the link to the Vale's proposals, if you need any more info or help please e-mail me.

http://www.valeofglamorgan.gov.uk/our_council/council/minutes,_agendas_and_reports/reports/cabinet/2013/13-01-21/safer_communities.aspx

Thanks for your time reading this,

Ride Safe,

Mike m